Shevchenko district of Kiev

Information about Kiev and the districts of Kiev, historical places of Kiev.

Shevchenko district

The history of the area begins later in 1734, in which the newly created office of the Kiev police were subordinated Starokyivska and Cave of the city, and Kievopodol was still with his "Magdeburg decision. The territory of this district and was a member of the first two of the Kiev police stations. While police work in some of today's match executive committees. Police carry out "surveillance of an external order in the hostel and was wrong. People in it "repaired" (occupied), the approved post-ranks and deciding the worldly affairs in the territory under their jurisdiction "the truth", approved by higher authorities. Gradually the police stations in Kiev was eight, but Starokievsky and Caves still included in their number. Under the title "district" (ie "administrative districts" with its small and subordinate, but a separate body of legislative and executive power, for example, the Council of People's Deputies). Starokievsky was first formed in March 1917 the Bolsheviks. Resolution of the Kyiv Committee RSDLP (b) defines this area as the city party district (one of six partrayonov Kiev), which united under the direction of the City District Committee RSDLP (b) the Bolshevik organization of enterprises that were in the city center and adjacent to the center of the street. Simultaneously, this same territory was part of the Starokievsky and Pechersk district dumas (two out of eight), and with the establishment of the Hetman government Starokievsky, Vladimir and Caves (three out of seventeen) areas, subordinate Kiev City Hall. In 1920 Starokievsky was known as the Central District. In 1921 merged with the Crypt. This entity was included under the names of two simultaneous - Cave and Central - until Lenin's death, which happened on Jan. 21, 1924. Since then, the area has become non-alternative known as Lenin. In the late 20-ies of it provided by the central and the Cave of the still called Lenin. In 1932, under the new administrative-territorial division of Kiev areas have been re-united in the Leninsky district, and in 1936 again the final section at the Kirov (now the Crypt) and the Lenin district. When the Nazi occupation Leninsky district was named the Central, but after his release and until 1992, again wore a pseudonym Vladimir Ulyanov. In 1992 became Starokyivska. Although, by and large, especially Starokyivska is not presenting himself in the old days of only densely wooded and intersected by ravines neighborhood of the Old (Upper) city.

THEATRE is located in the vicinity of the National Opera of Ukraine. The name of the area derives not only from the current Opera House, built in 1899-1901 in the style of French Renaissance and calculated at 1,628 seats. Yes, it was called then the Kyiv City Opera, but to her at this place was a stone Municipal Theatre (second) to 849 seats. In tatters, he was burned in 1896, and was built in 1850-1856 years instead of the City Theatre (the first). First City Theatre was wooden, and he stood not here, but in place of the current Ukrainian House as early as 1806-1851 years and was demolished for the dilapidated and accident rate. Holy place is never empty. So with the theater. Time passed and by early 80-ies of the XX century building then Opera and Ballet Theatre. Taras Shevchenko, in turn, pretty shabby and did not meet modern requirements. But he was not allowed to burn and decided to thorough restoration. With the success and committed. Also repaired a passage between the Theatre Square and the street Lysenko and the edification of posterity placed on the balcony above the main entrance to the theater big black bust of Taras - "the heavy pondering.

The University is located in the vicinity of the "red" building of Kiev University. Main building built in 1837-42 years in a thorough and monumental style of Russian classicism. Style justifies itself even today, building an old-fashioned, but still huge, spacious, and is as it says. The walls are painted in red, cast-iron base and capitals of the columns - black, which corresponds to the colors of the Order of St. Vladimir, who noted the special merits in the education of Christians and the strengthening of the Orthodox Faith. Maybe so the Jews and other infidels "took place traditionally always extreme reluctance. The motto of the Order of Saint same. Vladimir "Benefit, Honor and Glory" was the motto and the university. Though, the University of Kiev is a few years older than the main building, which he then located. The university was founded in 1834 as part of a single Faculty of Philosophy, which were as much for two, but in the current quite "not philosophy" offices - History and Philology, physical and mathematical. Well, we are shallower with time. In the old days under the philosophy meant not "abstract reasoning" and even "methodological principles underlying any science, but much more simple and at the same time, more profound thing - the" love of wisdom, that is, the science of achievement a man of wisdom, knowledge of the truth and goodness. It was believed that "these things" the same is true for every person looking for, be it humanitarian or accurate targeting. In 1835 he opened a second department - legal, and in 1841 and the third - Medical. Nearby there are the Botanical Garden was founded on the adjacent vacant lot, in the deep ravines and hills as a university research facility in 1839. In 1846-49 years built Greenhouse complex, which eventually managed to grow the oldest in the follow-up of the Soviet Union copies of palms. They lived in peace and people, they were grown, and many urban turmoil. In 1977, these trees have constructed the highest at that time in the world 30-meter klimatron, who surprised his bold architectural forms uninitiated onlookers today. And a botanical garden, and such a relief for the area, generously saturated densely overgrown gullies, ravines and hills, and extending up to Yaroslav Val still called "Kiev Switzerland. The similarity of the reliefs there. This could not assess the university's students, who often rented rooms here, and "corners" to the little house, surrounded by gardens. To campus and the park is opposite the main entrance. He was laid in 60-ies of the XIX century, too, in a vacant lot and was named the university. Once installed in 1896, the monument to Nicholas I, signed a decree approving the University of Kiev as the central plank of "Russification Nenko-Ukraine", the park became known as the Nikolaev. And with the installation on the same empty pedestal of the monument in 1939, Shevchenko was working in 1845-47 years in Archeological Commission of the University, and after death became the mainstay of the Revival of Ukraine, the park became known as Shevchenko.

Esplanade is located in the street Esplanadnaya. Esplanade used to be called vacant space between the castle (in this case New Cave or Nikolayev) and the nearest town buildings that existed in the interests of land defense. Hence the name of the street adjacent to the evacuated during the second quarter of the XIX century the territory. Part of the area belongs to the Pechersk district, in the future, the story that we tell and the fortress.

PEREVESISCHE (Groin (Khreshchate) valley, Groin Yar Khreschatyk Khreschatyk, Sands) is located along the current street Khreshchatyk, as well as street Big Vassilkovskaya. On the origin of the name of the area there are several versions. Often, it explains the "superiority" - setmi that hung across, say the ravine to catch small animals and birds. It was one of the prince's hunting. But, however, and the area itself is a huge margin - "perevesischem", being at once and the valley (for her down hills), and the hills (the hills - Vladimir and Leo Tolstoy Square). Valley on the same occasion also called Khreshchate or Kreshchatik, because it was a crossroads, a crossroads, it crossed ihodilis and "outweighed" and its "cross" many ravines, streams, and roads. Stream flowed on it (as in ancient times the river) Kreschatik struck and lathered on its shores for its long history quite a lot of sand - hence another name for the area - Sands. The surrounding hills, mountains, which is called Groin because they came together in this valley, full of streams and brimming supplied Khreshchatyk water. And for him it was not a lot because of Kozi swamp he immediately proceeded in two opposite directions - to the Dnieper and Lybid of it eventually falling into the Dnepr. So Perevesische had quite a long length. Groin Groin valley known as Yar, since it was a deep ravine, "aggravated" especially during the rainy season and the spring thaw "yaryaschimisya" (Loud, heavy and strong) waters. How Perevesische locality was first mentioned in the chronicle of the 945 year. Until the XVIII century the land was entirely uninhabited, but then here with all the more willingly become justified distillers, brewers, taverners-publicans. Buildings at the beginning was poor and wood. But in the XIX century near the tavern began to arise commercial establishments, and then the banks, offices, hotels, exchange. Thus, the old settlement became a brilliant distillation of the European street. Perhaps, at Kozi swamp still had the grace - a former swamp and mud brought money, profits and wealth. A thorough formal development Kreshchatik as streets began at 30-40 years of XIX century, when in connection with the construction of a new fortress of people from Pechersk steel resettle, and the city center, was formed at the Pechersk district of the modern street, was moved into the neighborhood Groin Valley. In 70-80-ies of the XIX century on Kreschatike already mostly three-story stone houses were built. Helped advance the cause and the fact that in this area settled affluent Jews, forming an active rather then their colony. No wonder there, albeit a little on the edge there in 1897, a new and fundamental synagogue. In 1891, at Khreshchatyk was laid the first route of horse tram (tram), and next year Russia's first electric tram connected Kreshchatik Kievopodolom, eliminating the distance between the ancient trading center of Kiev and a new "business center". The current view of street acquired after the war, when Khreshchatyk increased twice (up to 100 meters), built up in the spirit of "ukrainizirovannogo blooming" of socialist realism, high-rise administrative and elite residential buildings that have brick light yellow pottery, red and gray granite. At the same boulevard socket chestnut trees that have received such a large spread in the city just after the war twenty years. And the once Khreshchatyk wilderness became the personification of Kiev, like the "Kiev cake." Part of the area belongs to the Pechersk district.

Upper Town is located in the area of Tenth street, Big Zhytomyr, Lviv Yaroslaviv shaft and square. The name of the area shows not only that it is higher than the lower city (or hem), but that there were going to ancient times "cream" of society as a secular and spiritual titles. At first - at the turn of the U-U1 centuries - there arises hillfort Kiya with pagan temple, and in the tenth century the inhabited part of the area continues to grow. In place of "the city Kiya" there is "the city of Vladimir (in the vicinity of Tenth and St. Andrew's Church), and grow side by side," the city of Yaroslav "(in the monastery of St. Sophia and the Golden Gate) and the city Izyaslav, Svatopluk (near Michael's Monastery). In general, the Upper Town were the yards of the Grand Duke, his spodruchnikov and Metropolitan, stone churches and palaces, courtyards richest landowners, the vast complex of monasteries and the homes of men, serve the needs of the Upper Town, as well as altars, temples drevnekievskih gods. "The city of Vladimir has served as detintsem, ie internal consolidation of the city, the protector and refuge for the people of Kiev.
Area got the remains of the Golden Gate to the building above them to the 1500 anniversary of Kiev "tomb"-sarcophagus. However, she has gradually falls off and destroyed. So there is some reason to expect that the sacred remains survive his sarcophagus. As for the Golden Gate, in ancient times they served as a principal, the most impregnable (never through them, Kiev was not taken) and the most solemn gate of the Old City. Over the gates the Church of the Annunciation. Maybe it was so sacred and holy, that he took the city, Batu destroyed trees and walls around, but not particularly worked on the destruction of the gates themselves. Over time they gradually dismantled for building materials themselves Kyivites. The ruins have attracted visitors until 1750, has not yet been covered with earth. And above them have created new Golden Gate, however, later successfully dismantled for "use of the material to better advantage elsewhere." 22 years old gate remains excavated and sealed by iron beams. Then ruins repeatedly rearrange until you have built over them to the museum in 1983. With its external forms, he restores the Golden Gate in their supposed original form. As for the rest, then in the Upper Town is well preserved building of XVIII, XIX and early XX centuries. This was greatly facilitated and contributes careful reconstruction of the housing stock. True, it happens and so often that during her long leave alone facade walls. The reasons for this are different, but the effect is one - does not please the eye display, for example, "canned ruins" on the street, Vladimir, 47.

Was also there and Babin Torzhok - the main city square, were so named not because that was selling dolls, army hat and other clumsy crafts folk art. Of course, as an antiquity on this Torzhok (from Tithe church toward greater Zhitomir in the Vladimir street) traded. Another thing - nothing. A6 we can only guess. However, "the women" used to be called more and sculptured statues. It is believed that in times of Vladimir gathered for magical purposes in the central square of the statue as a home-grown wood and stone and bronze, copper robbed of the Greek colonies. But all had their turn. In the XIII century (1240) troops Batu thoroughly destroyed the upper city. Break it, they tried to ensure continued insecurity and the acquiescence of Kiev. To some extent, restore defenses strategically well located Upper Town was only after the reunification of Ukraine and Russia in 1654. On older trees have grown new walls, behind which is located protective garrison of Russian troops. The remnants of defensive structures were demolished in the middle of the XIX century in connection with the redevelopment of the Upper City.

Goat (Kozin) Swamp (Kozynka, Torg, Groin area) is located in the vicinity of the present Independence Square. The area that was formerly marshy, converged here from the surrounding hills, streams, and formed a swamp, covered with brush. Confident all here feel wild goats, followed by predators and people are rarely able to keep up. However, "Kozina" called the bag for the money. In the countryside flocked not only streams, but also wealth. And through her wealth could "derive" from Kiev. In particular, though, because here, in spite of neprosyhayuschuyu dirt roads converge, including from the edges Besenyoan. " That Kievites back here with the spoils of war, and then became livelier themselves away for others. Hence it took them a profit for themselves expensive travelers - land "guests"-the merchants. How it managed to do in the swamp? The fact that the terrain was tricky. The marsh-swamp, but it was and took a firm stand, on which arose at the foot of the mountain Starokievsky eastern gate of Kiev - Lyadski. And from them a couple of hundred meters marshes led to a nearby hill, a narrow road-decking of logs. So everything else and the area was a natural defense point. With all the above observations were due and the name of the city gates. "Lyadski" not only because the gates were only a "lyadu" - Descending "door-hatch. And not because not far from the gate could be a settlement of Poles - Poles ". Of course, these details must also be taken into account. But it is much easier. "Lyada" - this is simply a swamp, overgrown with forest, an original, "involuntarily useless wasteland." Hence, too, and the word "sluggard," which denotes all useless, evil, wretched, sickly and dissolute. However, this is the same word with the additional letters, and we know now, but only in a much more meager one abusive meaning. And no wonder. The gates are in Kiev were the least honored, "storehouse for dirt. In the living organism of the ancient city from it in this way to remove dirt. In the same area turning into swamp lake. From it also follows a stream Khreshchatyk and fell into the river Lybed as a tributary. In all of this, Lyadski gate with tinea city defensive ramparts offer a powerful fortifications. But their prophetic name in the end justified itself - once the gates "opaskudili" and "betrayed" the city. However, Batu Khan to deal with them in December 1240 and took the frost, facilitated access to the walls, and huge military forces, and highly effective military technologies - particularly smoothly hollowed wooden building and the gates of kamnemetov-"vices" dvuhsotkilogrammovymi and more shells. In the 70 years of the XVII century Goat swamp completely drained. There have paved a new protective wall, and on the spot (and perhaps not far from) Lyadskaya gate was built of stone Pechersky gate. The facility was deployed in front of the east in the direction of Khreshchatyk. As before, the gate guard was placed immediately processed entry documents and goods. Through the gate ran Ivanovo road to Pechersk, now known as the street Institutska. Near the gate was erected as a dam holding up the pond, where there was a water mill. At the end of XVIII century around Kozi marsh located and vineyard estates Hural'nia (Brandy) settlement. In 1833, the Master Plan began remodeling and building Kozi marshes. In 40-ies of the XIX century with St. Sophia's Square was transferred to the goat swamp the market. It continued to reveal itself in time and space commercial meaning of the word "Kozin. And then after a while this part of the city became known as Bargain, flea market or bazaar Groin. With 60 years of XIX century, the marsh called the Goat is much more respectful - Groin area. In her 1874-76 years was worthy of the building was constructed the City Council with the image of Archangel Michael (in place of today's column with a dark angel in front of the main entrance to the main post office. The very same thought was an elected regional body ryaditelny municipality. At first she wore a caste-representative character, and then elected on the basis of the property qualification. Together with his executive authority - City Council City Council and was responsible for urban management. Kozi Modern buildings of the swamp was made from the middle of XX century. Buildings Х1Х-early XX centuries were destroyed either during the Second World War, and in time large-scale reconstruction of the area in 1970. And yet the old buildings preserved in part at around Independence Square streets and alleys. This was the fee for the "European" luster and prestige. Since the end of XIX century, the marsh is gradually becoming "more and more central" area the city has not yet become "the most" central. eloquently that there is now carried out mass holidays, celebrations, and during the Soviet era were held, and show a demonstration in front of the government platform. And no wonder - the goats and goats have always been famous for "boring" and a cheerful disposition, playful character.

Kudryavets (Kudryavskaya mountain) is located between the end and the streets Kopyrevym Glubochitskoy and Artem and Vorovs'kogo and Dmitrov. Up to 40 years of XIX century Kudryavets is a suburb, "curl" from a large number of trees and shrubs. And now, here a stream Kudryavets, albeit in a reinforced concrete reservoir. At Kudryavtsev were laid Kudryavskaya street, Boulevard-Kudryavskaya (now Vorovs'kogo) Kudryavskaya lane (not preserved) and descent.

Wyschne (Superior) Kudryavets located on Kudryavtsev Kudryavskaya in the streets and descent. At the beginning of the XVIII-XIX centuries here with the same name suburb, which belonged to St. Michael and St. Sophia Zlatoverkh monasteries. In 1718, here on the site of the church end of X1-on-Chal XII centuries, was built a wooden Church of the Ascension with a wooden bell tower and the school. Lasted until 1863. Then, at the same place was built the seminary, in a building which is now the Art Institute.

Soldatskaya Slobodka
is located on Kudryavtsev in the streets Pavlov, Poltava, Dmitrovsky, Turgenev, Gogol. In the first half of the XIX century there arose the same name suburb of retired soldiers.

Tatarka located along the streets Lukyanovskaya, Old Polyana, Tatarstan, Schmidt, Mountainous and Makarov. The name comes from Nizhny Novgorod Tatars (mainly engaged in Kiev knacker's yard, soap and trade), who initially settled in the vicinity of the street Tatar (so named in the 60-ies of the XIX century), and then settled in Podil near Zhitnyaya market. Built up in the second half of the XIX century. In 60-70-ies of XX of almost all the old building, which is mainly made up of single-storey houses were demolished.

Yevbaz located in the vicinity of the current Victory Square and down to the street Kosiora. The area has been known since the XIX century and was initially occupied by numerous small buildings, shops and warehouses. The place was though cereal, but very lively. Here they sold everything for body and soul would have it, legally and illegally. And above all - here you as a person and the buyer did not put a penny in the price, if you do not know how desperate bargain and down the starting price as "kandminimum, double or triple that. In 1860 the square was open market nosilnyh things. Eventually it informally, but ever got the name of the Jewish Bazaar (Yevbaz) to commemorate the contribution of the nation, without a trade-business and joyful spontaneity where the market so would never become Yevbaz. After all, the notion of "articles of clothing", even very capacious. They say without joking, that in the 40 years of this century there even sold guns and tanks. "From under the counter", of course. Another question is to whom such a stale product was needed? Cause and cheap. In 1869, the area and the market is officially named Afonso, here began the road to big and always a "wild" for "Russians" West through the lands of Galicia. However, the name was included mainly in the papers. In 1952, the authorities thoroughly rolled up their sleeves and set about "villainous bandit bug-infested brothels. Clear a space, called it the Victory Square in honor of the victory (officially - in the war, unofficially - on Evbazoi) and began the "reconstruction". In fact, it was building from scratch. And quite symbolic. After all, what was "Eabaz"? Not just a "mart", "brothel", but still - and "continuous circus". Officials allowed this phenomenon is in order. In place of living of people came to a boil three dry structures and a very large volume. In 1960 - a circus for two thousand-odd seats. And in 1966 - a department store "Ukraine" at 367 with a stock trading places. To complete the symbolic completeness of the architectural complex erected in 1970 and another 17-storey building of the Hotel Lybed ", designed for 500 elite seats for guests because (as the vernacular)" hill ". As for the "spirit" of the area, "Vita" here today, and - the Church of the "Iron" or St. John Zlatoust, it was erected in 1860-m contours reminiscent of wooden Russian church, and was made of iron and iron on stone foundations. Burning it does not have to - it was not a tree, but in 1934 it still managed to make out, attracted by the quality of scrap.

Athanasian (SLAVSKOE) YAR is among the current streets of Ivan Franko, Yaroslaviv Val bottom of the street Bogdan Khmelnitsky and Oles Gonchar. The first name, apparently derived from the names of the owners of this area Afanas'ev, and the second - on behalf of Prince Svyatoslav Igorevich. For a long time, the area used as a dumping ground for household waste, which was so great that nearby buildings were made with great reluctance. But the city demanded her, he grew - and the "chic" place was empty. At the end of Х1Х-early XX centuries gully waste nicely filled and paved Svyatoslavs'ka street (now Chapaeva), as well as continued Timofeevskaya Street (now George Kotsyubyns'kogo). In support of that life here is not only necessary but also possible, in a building erected Timofeevskii urban health station in the spirit of Kiev "brick" architecture. This is somewhat exotic structure in the Latin forms, with towers and steeples, with their red tile roofs and nicknamed - Evangelical Hospital. It is true that because of the availability for the broad population, later there was a hospital for semiconductors (river transport workers), together with a therapeutic clinic. And in 1971, in continuation of "water-care" theme erected near Institute of Urology and Nephrology. And yet to settle in this area a couple of decades after the backfill is not considered a very honorable thing, while in 1913 no otgrohali Svyatoslavs'ka on a vacant lot (now the street. Gonchar № 55), five-story majestic building of the Women of Kiev University St. Princess Olga (before this was located nearby in particular, the present building of the Ukrainian Wikipedia "on the street. Khmelnitsky № 51). In 30-ies the city authorities took up the territory Yar-farming with a new zeal. On the perennial yarah and dumps arranged Pavlovsky Square - on the contrary platted nest "the first harbingers of socialist urban planning - four case workers' cooperatives, constructivist boldly set at an angle to the street, with open courtyards and bright, clean and landscaped. But around the area after the "Extermination" ravine various entrepreneurs with pleasure deployed capital construction. Sometimes there were small one-storey zdanitsa as on the street Nestorovskoy (now Ivan Franco), and often more solid multi-storey buildings, as on the street Malovladimirskoy (now Gonchar). Time taking its toll - and the terrain more blagoustraivalas and al-hitekturno flourished. In the years 1949-1958 were built, built, and finally on a nice back in the last century, the rich brought dried grass Haymarket was built near the former settlement of Kiev bankers "ghouls" and usurers central covered market, open-work, two stories, and by 1200 trade places. The specific compensation for the demolished Yevbaz.

Jaroslavov VAL located in an area of streets and Yaroslav Lyssenko Val, once titles basement. And not because the latter had a lot of basements. Since the XI century, then held high and a long earthen fortification, and when in the 40-50 years of XIX century, the remains of demolished wall, newly formed street went something like "under the shaft, along its base. In 1869, the street was named Yaroslaviv Val - and very handy. It is known that Yaroslav the Wise was a great patron of wisdom, art, and not shackled to the dogmas and prejudices of the native creativity. And the street itself become "sublime geniuses buffoon, glorifying the sun." And not because that was eventually housed the Theatre Institute. Just street itself was such. Moorish stylized kenasa (now the House actor) aviamasterskie Igor Sikorsky (1889-1972) (house number 15, where in 1911, this son of a professor, a psychiatrist was able to build its first helicopter, a concept which later were not fully recognized at home, but have so generously enriched the United States Air Force), the Ukrainian State Academy of Fine Arts (which individual workshops for individuals who are at least 14 years of age were placed between 1919 and 1924 in the same place today, the Theatre Institute), and more. Almost every house on Yaroslav Val associated with the leaders of inspired creativity and art.

Bolshevik factory is located between Victory Avenue and streets Industrial, Vyborg. "Bolshevik" name comes from 1922. And before that? .. In 1882 the territory of the current plant Swiss Grether created iron-shop for beds. It was altogether neubytochnym could expand the scope of activity. In 1888, a small company called "Kiev iron and Mechanical Plant" was renamed "Kiev Engineering Plant Grether, Krivanek and K °». He produced cast iron fittings, beds, bolts, staples. In 1890 arose stock company "Grether and Krivanek" took hold of the arbitrariness. From 1895, and the workers themselves became gradually expand its scope of activities, having read in the active circle works of Karl Marx and analyzing the "unjust way of social life. In the future, working more like bear arms and hands and their role in political strikes, "zavorushek" and revolutions increased. While the Soviet authorities, who fought for the factory workers, not merged with the Cheka, the committee which came from the workers took a very active part ... The culmination of the political activity of the plant workers served in 1970 - and the plant was awarded the Lenin Jubilee Diploma in honor of 100 anniversary of the birth of Vladimir Lenin (Ulyanov). However, by the time the factory had already been decorated with Lenin in 1966, and from 1967 - a memorable flagonostsem CPSU Central Committee. As for production, in 1926-41 years at the plant mastered the production of equipment for chemical and rezinopererabatyvayuschey industry. At its base during the evacuation appeared "Uralkhimmash. In the same glorious 1970 the plant was renamed the Industrial Association of polymer engineering and producing calenders, rezinosmesiteli, roll mills, granulators, farmatory vulcanizers-lines for the production of cables, pipes, linoleum, films, products of broad popular and secure military use. But "people are people everywhere, and the current economic stagnation is not spared, unfortunately, and welfare of workers. However, today there is no one to rebel. Youth "went into commerce, and the older generation" is not tolerated and ". The old feeling "hopeless satiety" was replaced by a sense of "hopeless free flight.

POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE is located between Victory Avenue, streets Yangelya, Borshchahivska and Politecnico lane. The name comes from the Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1898. True, at first it was located in the premises of the Kyiv Commercial College (the former factory books and magazines on the street Vorovskogo, 24). August 15, 1898 in the building of this school opened the first course, but already on August 30 has witnessed (with pomp and sanctification) of the current tab is its own premises. The then-territory of the building was 36 acres of land, equal habitual now 39 hectares. In 1901, six buildings in the Romanesque style, were opened to students. The main building is notable for the 260 meters of length w along the facade. Initially, university consisted of four divisions: engineering, mechanical, chemical and agronomic. In 1903 came the first issue. At the same time laid the institute grounds. In the future, departments and offices of the Institute became independent universities and left Polytech: Kiev Institute of Civil Engineering (1930), Technology of Light Industry (1930), Civil Aviation Engineers (1933), agriculture (1922), who in 1954 became the academy ... In the years 1933-44 CPI exists as the Industrial Institute on the basis of consolidation of the three institutions: the engineering, chemical process and energy. In 1944, resumed its activities as a Polytechnic Institute. In 1954 it was joined to the Institute of silicates. Now myself prebolshuschy former Imperial Polytechnic Institute has a proud name National Technical University and, like his historical residential area, is great, including the lease, property.

Shulyavka located between Lukyanovka, Karavaev cottages, river and street Lybed Kosiora along Victory Avenue to the street Perovskoy. The name comes from the Old Slavonic phrase "shelvova Bork" or the word "shelevborok", which means diminutive wood with a large number of fields. According to another name for the area produces the word "shulo", which meant for a fence post. In fact, surrounded by a dense palisade "shelvove hamlet under Bork referred to in Hypatian Chronicle in a story about the events of 7668, the creation of the world (1160 and. E.) Serves to reinforce the fortpostom to protect themselves from uninvited guests and western borders of Kiev. However, in the X century, here there is a settlement of people. By hypothesis, this party was so important in the "Helper" city life, which was named from the word "Shuya" (left) or "left hand" (left hand). The left hand not only keeps the defense in a fight, but assisted by the right and in many other cases. According to this view, the city is considered as the projection of the human body, and particularly with his right hand (right hand) in the Desna river and head into the area Vyshgorod. There is a very interesting point of view that Shulyavka was so important to Kiev, that its direction to the city a continuous flow of the working man's strength is often composed of highly skilled craftsmen and migrating to the enslaved and severe estates north and west to more fertile and loose soil south and east - and this, he says, was reflected in the title associated with the already familiar with the word "shulo", but now with the value "Yatra, testicles. Whatever it was, but the area is referred to only from the XVIII century as a village Shulyavka, Shulyavschina, Shulzhanskoe Compound Sophia monastery, serving for Metropolitan of Kiev suburban dacha in the woods by a pond and river. Later we will see that this place was chosen for summer residences not only monastic clergy. In 1847, the land confiscated from the church in favor of the state, and in 1847-1857 years in Shuliavka Gai (Gai Cadet eventually) built Cadet Corps. Build liked it here, and at the end of XIX century in the area Shulyavka along the Brest-Litovsk (now Victory) Prospect began erecting the structure of the plant Grether and Krivanek, and then the Imperial Polytechnic Institute. Thus, from mid XIX ve ¬ ka until 1912 Shulyavka by parts is a part of Kiev. In the same period there are formed to work settlements, gradually formed the large working-class district of the city. What was its far-reaching consequences. In February 1897 at Shulyavka occurred the first mass workers' strike. This was the beginning. November 12, 1905 at Shulyavka the first in Kiev, the Soviet of Workers' Deputies, and a month later broke bunting "Shulyavska republic." Its existence was brief, but bright. After December 1, did not lead to connect workers with eight hundred rebels under the command of Lieutenant engineers Zhadanovskogo scattered as a result of bloody combat troops on the Galician government (Victory) Square, the Board declared the Kiev Board of Workers' Deputies (located in the premises of the Polytechnic Institute), the only authority . The workers drove authorized officials and police, on Dec. 25 rose to strike in solidarity with the insurgent Moscow proletariat. The speech was poorly organized and under tight military situation in the king's army 29-30 December 1905 easily defeated Shuliavska republic, disarming the night fighting the workers' militia and arresting its members. However, the lesson went for future use. After a decade working Shulyavka actively uch astie in the fight for the victory of the revolution and the establishment of Soviet rule, which ended quietly came to power in the Soviets, the communist "majority". In gratitude Shulyavka not forgotten and 20-30-ies in honor of the Great Revolution of the area called Zhovtnivka. Freedom-loving and rebellious mood finally received landmark recognition. But not the end. Long before the revolution in the area found a safe haven Shulyavka haidamaks, runaway peasants and bandits. Ending with old traditions was not easy. While trying to destroy the memory. In the 60's and 70 years, almost all the old buildings on Shulyavka was demolished. Between Victory Avenue and the reconstructed street Borshchahivska built housing estate. At Shulyavka paved a new street - Shuliavska. Symbolically, the first "Shuliavka" called the current street Leo Tolstoy. "Shulyavchane" and "Levushka" - "sober thoughts", "povergateli dogmas", strong, strong in spirit, courageous and independent "rebels". For residents Shulyavka "Soviet problems were part of life.

Dekhtyari (Digtyari) are located on the west Nivok. Main Street - Backbone, Cherkassy. Emerged as a farmhouse in XIX century, its streets have names in 1912-13. The name of the area derives, apparently, from the names of hereditary merchants and urban community leaders and blagodeyateley Dehtyarevyh. As part of Kiev - in 1923. Preserved a considerable part of the old building.

NIVKI located between Peter's railway, the natural boundary Merry Maidan, Victory Avenue and the street Stetsenko. Central Railway - street Shcherbakov. Includes areas Vovcha Gore Rubezhivka, Dekhtyar. Tender name comes from the fields, nurse, which consisted of cultivated fields, from plowed fields, crops and runs along the right side of the former Brest-Litovsk highway. As the farm and garden area with a suburban entertainment agency "Eldorado" are known from 50-ies. Sometimes the terrain is merely referred to as "Nyvka." However, with the river Nyvka on the western outskirts of Kiev is connected only by association - through the plow and sow my mother-land to which people have the relationships everywhere. In 1923 included in the city limits. Until the mid-century, were built mostly just street Nevsky (formerly Niva), and Alexander Goncharov. In 1948, the mass individual building the private sector. And since 1965, a noise industrial area 5 and 9-etazhkami. In the countryside there are many schools, childcare institutions, consumer and cultural services. Old oak forest that separates the area from the raw, is a place of public entertainment and now.

Lukyanovka located between the streets Dehtiarivska, Baggovutivska, Kmytiv Yar and terrain Babi Yar. Previously, under Lukyanovka understood area until the Lviv area. So that Tatarka and Kudryavets - it is as if the same Lukiyanobskaya. According to one version, the name comes from the name kievpodolskogo tsehmeystera, elder shop Shvetsov Luchian Oleksandrovich who settled here after 1845 and who owned large plots of land. And from his wife Anna, taken after the death of her husband's vows, the land wandered into the possession of female Mikhailovsky monastery. According to another version of the name comes from the people known for their cunning, deceit and duplicity. Lukiyanobskaya (equal to and some other areas) was known in ancient times for its scoundrels, robbers, thieves, pimps and other dashing men, which he favored terrain, the crossroads of many densely overgrown gullies (ravines). No wonder it was here in 1863, appeared Lukyanovskaya prison castle. Coming in to the will of the prisoners settled not far away and form their own colony. The first mention of the settlement Lukiyanobskaya refers to 1820, and in 1824 wrote that in this farm is situated in the suburbs of Zolotarev (ie zolotchika on wood) S. STREL'BITSKAIA. In 60-ies of the XIX century, the area to actively develop, new streets are laid. In 1892 there was opened the first in Kiev barn. In the years 1893-96 at the Grand Dorogozhitskaya At 15 (now the Melnikov House not preserved) acted subtle social-democratic-school workshop. For three or four months the students to learn job specialty turner, fitter, worked through the basics of the works of Marx, Engels, and then arranged for the company and carried on propaganda-agitation. They took their lead from its inspirer Yuvenaly Melnikov (1868-1900), learned the right things for the sake of the profession electrician. Now attracts the attention of building houses of culture of Kiev Trams, trolleybuses management - it is nothing like the former Lukyanovskaya People's House, founded in 1897 by the Society for sobriety and receive this two-storey stone new building in 1902. In Soviet times Lukyanovka also built with pleasure. Were erected numerous enterprises, research and design institutions, educational institutions ¬ WIDE. The Art of Architecture demanded sacrifices. In the 70-80-s most of the buildings Х1Х-early XX centuries demolished. A little earlier, in 1963, closed Lukyanovskaya cemetery, which existed about a century. Center Lukyanovka - Lukyanovskaya area. However, it is almost not noticeable, since it is located Lukyanovskaya market. In recent years the area expanded by the demolition of dilapidated residential area. Tried as an exit for metro station, and for trans ¬ national mighty lunchroom. Main highway location - street Melnikov.

REPYAHOV YAR located between the streets Melnikova, Frunze and Wroblewski descent. The name comes from the once rich thickets which grew here thistles. And occupy oneself at home began with the end of XIX century. At the bottom of the ravine runs eponymous creek, tributary stream Babi Yar.

VOLEYKOV (Voleyka, Valeyka) is located between the streets tank, Novoukrains'ke, Ukrainian and the railroad. As the village came the turn of Х1Х-XX centuries. Named by the name of the owner. In 1914 he received the status of the settlement.

Crude located between Lukyanovka, Babi Yar, Kurenyovka, Voleykovym, Peter railroad, streets Dehtiarivska, Helena Teligi, as well as between Syretskaja, Stetsenko, Marshal Grechko. The name received from the river, where once there were several water mills. The river is called a raw, apparently, not only because it was wet and damp or wet areas attached, on which leaked, but primarily because of water quality (clean, very cold), especially in the roots. Especially Chvala source arising from the hollow near the railway platform Rubezhovsky. For the first time the area mentioned in chronicles in 1381 as the year the village that was given to Prince Vladimir Olgerdovich Dominican monastery. In the first half of the XIX century, the tract was included as the city limits. Here summer camps housed troops of the Kiev garrison, and in 1913-14 respectively - Svyatopolk-oshinsky (Syretskaja) airfield, though, given that while many residential areas in the present scale was not (such as farm Nyvky located only very close to the Brest-Litovsk Highway) and raw and Svjatoshin are closest to the airfield suburbs. Syrets as an agricultural suburb. Now it is a large housing estate, built up in the late 50's, in the 60 years of our time. In 1973 Syrets built a Republican television station with a 380-meter TV tower. The main trunk area - street Teligi and Shchusev. There are also Syretskaja and Syretsko-Garden.

Vasil'chiki located between the streets tank, Sophia Perovskoy, Victory Avenue and the railroad. The area became known by the name of the Kiev governor-general of Prince Hilarion Vasilchikov, which in 1859 by decree of Alexander II the local land and farms Hmelevschina Senkovschina were transferred to the hereditary possession. Thus arose the village Vasil'chik. Subsequently, in south-eastern areas were created a large pond with a picturesque steep slopes and undeveloped areas of the city streets he named Park of XXII Congress of the CPSU (now Nyvky ").

Victor Kovalenko, "Real estate of Kiev"
ZAGORODNA.com
Sign

Our button

Zagorodna
bigmir)net TOP 100