Pechersky district of Kiev
At the time of the Russian Empire, the territory of present Pechersk district was part of the Palace and the Pechora police stations in Kiev. The name "Pechora region" refers to March 1917, when by order of the Kyiv Committee RSDLP (b) the party was formed Pechora region. In November 1921 the Soviet Pechersk district gained its well-defined at the time of the border. In the same year was renamed the Central District. In the years 1924-1933 Caves area became part of the Leninsky district, and in the years 1936-1944 was isolated as the Kirov region. After the war, he eventually became known as Crypt.
Caves (Kiev-Pechersk, Cave Mountain, Pecherske plateau Pecherskaya side) is located between the Limes, Clove, menagerie and Dnipro slopes. The most common version on the title links it to the caves, however, existed here long before the appearance of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, not only at the place occupied by it, but around him. So the menagerie, and even Kitaeva can also be seen as part of Pechersk. Another version associates the name with the character of the area. "Pechora", or "pechera" called bluffs, cliffs on the river bank. In an era of education of Russia is situated in Pechersk fortified defensive fortifications Center. From the XII century Monastery grows around Pecherske village. Gradually Pechersk suburb razed and in its place erected walls. After the battle of Poltava area of the former Monastery of Caves increased fivefold and has grown from a small monastery, surrounded by impenetrable forests, a significant city-bastion. In the first half of XVIII century, built around the "Vorstadt" represented chimneyless houses (ie house without pipes), among which stands out about ten state-owned stone buildings. Aristocratic view Pechers'k began to acquire only in times of Nicholas I, extended the castle is actually the whole Pechersk, and laid out the Palace and Lybids'ka part of the city.
Historians agree that his appearance on the horizon Kiev life Besarabka must open here in late XVIII century, a powerful source of water. Later in the area arose Bazaar. At the end of XVIII - early XIX century Basarabeasca also placed horse postal station. The name of the area derives from a large number of itinerant people, who settled in shacks near the steep descent. These people were in Kiev nickname "Bessarab" ("bassaraby"). According to another version of the title Basarabeasca gave peasants from Bessarabia (Moldova and southern Ukraine. Center area occupied by the monumental building of the city covered market with a huge glass dome roof, the market is deployed to the front Kreshchatik. The building is 2 floors were built in 1896 by award-winning architect E. Guy in the style of English modernism with the money part of tempered city, and donated part of the heirs of L. Brodsky.
Berestovo located on the territory of the Park of Eternal Glory, and the top of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Once all this place was covered Berestov forests - hence the name. Here St. Vladimir lived at his country mansion. Two-storey stone structure of the palace was surrounded by yards of the prince's servants. In subsequent years, the village lived a prince Yaroslav the Wise, Svetoslav Yaroslavovich, Vsevolod Yaroslavovich and Vladimir Monomakh. Here was located and the monastery Germanech burnt down with the prince's court in 1091 by Khan Bonyak and again restored to the 1113 Monomakh. It is possible that part of this monastery was the church of Our Saviour on Berestove first mentioned in 1072. But as a result of numerous destructions and reconstructions of capital to date, it looked, which differs substantially from the original.
Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is located on the territory of the museum complex of Kiev-Pechersk Preserve.
The old fortress is located around the Cave Monastery, and is limited by ramparts. Its construction was completed in 1723. During the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, the fortress was reconstructed several times. From 1711 it housed the main administrative (including the residence of the governor-general), and military institutions, houses of the Ukrainian aristocracy, and arsenals, where stored, manufactured and repaired military equipment, and powder magazines. Most of the buildings of the fortress was decorated in the Ukrainian Baroque style.
Long Niwa is located along the streets of the January uprising, from the park of Eternal Glory to the Heroes' Square Arsenal and Clova. At the time of Kievan Rus, this area was a "great pine forest. Over time, the forest was cut down, and in its place formed a field, extending along the steeps of the Dnieper, arable land, crops, Niva - hence the name of the area. She belonged to the Cave, and from 1518 - Nikolsky Monastery. In the middle of XVII century there emerged Nikolskaya Sloboda. Nicholas Monastery was one of the oldest in Russia and owned land on the Dnieper up to the hem.
Askold's Grave (Ugric tract, Kozlivka, failures) is located between Long Niwa, Riverside Drive, Park of Glory and the Mariinsky Park and includes part of the Dnieper hills. The issue is on the site Tracts Ugric, nicknamed so because of the steepness of the Dnieper shore ("eel", "eel"). Thanks to the many sudden changes in terrain also called a failure. However, this does not exclude the fact that in 898 there were encamped ugry nomads. The place is sacred. It is the blood of the first prince of Kiev, Askold Christian (in baptism Nicholas) and covered with legends. The same area is known as Kozlovka - by the name of the local homeowners Kozlovsky. Their behalf in the estate of the late XIX century stretched in the current parkway from the stairs to the Mariinsky Palace to the stairs to the Ammunition area. In addition, in 1915, a doctor Kozlovsky built on the territory of their ancestral possessions hospital for children suffering from polio.
Limes (Part of the Palace, Klovskiy tract, Count Gore, German Mountain) located between the streets of Michael Grushevskiy Khreschatyk Institutska, silkworm, Academician Bogomolets, lanes Grape and serfs. The name comes from the fragrant gardens, which covered the hills in this open XVIIІ and the beginning of the XIX century, and then became more and more replaced by aristocratic mansions and institutions. Because the terrain on one side lay next to the Imperial (Mariinsky), and on the other - to Klovskiy palace, it was also called the Palace Part. Another of its name - Count Gore - who lived here in honor of the highest hereditary nobility. They called today and the German Limes Mountain, because there was a vast German colony. The Germans, Protestants created a whole "brilliantly-European" era in the development of the city. They based this pharmacy factory, were the first university professors, actors, printers, architects and administrators.
Evseykova Valley is located along Kreshchatik between Vladimirsky descent and Independence. First mentioned in 1523. Who was Evseyka (Evsei) and how it relates to the valley its name, set now unlikely. In place of the current "Ukrainian House" in 1806-1851 years was located first in Kiev City Theatre.
St. Michael's (Mikhailova) Mountain (Vladimirskaya Gorka) is located between Independence Square, the streets of Sofia, Vladimir, Postal Square, the European Square and Riverside Drive. The area was built up in the beginning of XI century. Here stood St. Michael's Cathedral, who gave her name. As for the park, its bookmark, ordering and planning the slopes began in the 30's and 40's of the XIX century. In 1853 it erected a monument to Prince - the Baptist of Russia, Vladimir, hence the second name of the mountain - Vladimirskaya Gorka. Until 1711 it was a whole array, while on the ground continue Kreschatytska yar it is not cut through the descent (now - Vladimir descent). Interestingly, the way the place to which a stream Khreshchatyk with whom Vladimir began baptizing Kiev, baptized in the creek for their children, began to walk and ride people.
Clove (Klovskiy Yar Trail Dog, Pit) is located on the slopes of Cave hill and below the Limes in the region Klovskiy descent, streets Mechnikov Maryanenko, as well as between the drain and streets, on the one hand, and the streets and Shelkovichnoe Academy Bogomol'tsya - other . The name is known from the times of Kyiv Rus and comes from the streams that flowed down the steep slopes of this area. "Clove" - is a violent, seething, foaming water. And yet - "Dwarf": so-called the local ponds and lakes, in which the bottom of the pins were slaughtered to stop the fish. The area and its surroundings belonged to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. In 1078, the Lavra Abbot Stephen, for some reason not uzhivshiysya with the monks, but not wishing to be far from the holy place, arranged on the opposite side of the mountain Pechersk monastery Stefanich, who was also called to the location Klovskiy. In the years 1752-1756 near the site appeared Klovskiy palace. Clove and called Dog trail, because the ground was waterlogged, and people made their way into it by a narrow ("dog") paths. Due to the steep terrain and was called Yama, or pitted.
Crosses are located between Clove, Long Niwa, Old Pechersk fortress and Lesi Ukrainka. The crosses were called the crossroads, which in this area were numerous. It is well known tract of the same name and the settlement, which later merged with the Crypt borough. In the XVIII century there arose Cross lane, now known as street Nicholas Gaytsana. The area was, and Racetrack (st. Suvorov, 9), which at the dawn of pre-revolutionary Kiev aircraft used as an airfield. On the crosses well preserved buildings of the XIX - early XX centuries.
Cherepanov Mountain is located between the streets Esplanadnaya, Ivan curls, Lesi Ukrainky and south-western borders of Pechersk district. The area includes Vasilkovsky and Hospital building Novopecherskie fortress, as well as part of a broad predkrepostnoy Esplanadnaya band. The name "Cherepanov Mountain" emerged after 1815, when Kiev was the civil governor Paul Cherepanov: Mount housed his mansion.
Black Mountain is located between the boulevard of Peoples' Friendship, rail highway and street Kikvidze. The name comes from the chernozem soil of this area and has nothing to do with negative energy.
Menagerie (Vydubichi, Navodnichi, Nevodnichi) is located between the street Kikvidze, rail and highway Naddniprianska. Perhaps the name of the area dictated by the fact that there were hunting for wild animals. At Zverinets are and Vydubychi. They say that it is here "vydybnul" (ie, popped) idol of Perun. There is a tradition that it was not a wooden block, and a "serpent" ("beast"), who in these parts had their own "hole" (caves). There were fishing village with drying nets, and crossing to the left bank of the Dnieper, which existed before the emergence of Kievan Rus. Hence - one more name: Navodnichi or Nevodnichi. Finally, here is the chateau and the Great Prince of Kiev - Red yard. From the earliest times to Zverinets constructed and various fortifications. At the beginning of XX century, its area was densely built up in small houses and mansions, but in June 1918 as a result of explosions Zverynets artillery depots almost all of the local housing stock was destroyed. New residential buildings particularly active in these parts after the war.
Buslovka (Busovitsa, Telichko (Upper and Lower), calf) is partially located in the menagerie, from the extreme parts of the streets and Timiryazev Kikvidze to Bald Mountain. Busova mountain is located between the streets and Timiryazev Kikvidze and Busova field - between the train highway, streets and Kikvidze Saperno-Slobodskoy. The self-titled stream (now a collector) flowed through the field and fell into the river Lybed. It is believed that the place name comes from the name Booth (Boje) - the so-called leader of one of Ante tribes, whose building on the shore Lybid always important for the ancient defense settled down here. This area is also called Telichko (Telyachevym) - from the Upper Telichko on a hill and Lower Telichko - in the hollows. Buildings area began in the second half of the XIX century in the form of a narrow strip along the railway. As part of Kiev, it is from 1923. In 50 ¬ ies of XX century there began the construction of one of the largest industrial zones of the capital.
Bald Mountain is located between Buslovkoy, Saperna Slobodka and Bagrinovoy Mountain. The legendary and mysterious place. Its name is due to the paucity of high woody vegetation. In the second half of the XIX century there were built Lysogirs'kyi strengthen Novopecherskie fortress. In 1897, Lysa Hora became suburbs, and from 1923, entered the city limits as a park.
Bagrinov Mountain (Bagrinov) is located between the avenue of Science, Saperna Slobodka, Bald Mountain, mousetrap and Naddniprianska highway. It represents a hill ¬ jumper between Bald Mountain and Kitaev. Hence the name, equating the character of the relief hooks. In addition, a locality may be due to the purple color of the vegetation in the autumn. For the first time the area is mentioned in 1070 - it was then Prince of Kiev Vsevolod Yaroslavovich gave particularly an entrusted them Vydubychi Monastery Bagrinov. In 1949 he began building the village of two-story houses with the yard. The local Main Street - Lysogorskaya, rocket and panoramic. In 1956-1957 the settlement was called Khrushchev (named after the then head of the Soviet state), and from 1957-th - Zhovtnevyi.
Sapernoe Field is located between the streets Shchorsa, Henri Barbusse, Kovpaka and south-eastern border region. The name of the area gave an engineering battalion, whose barracks were here from the middle of the XIX century to 1924.
Victor Kovalenko, "Real estate of Kiev"