In anticipation of summing up the contest Green Awards, on ecological construction, information portal Poselkispb.ru met with Valery Vakulenko, CEO ECOESTATE, chairman of the Committee on Eco-development and Foreign Relations of the Russian Guild of Managers and Developers.
- How can we today evaluate the development of environmental and energy-efficient construction in Russia and in St. Petersburg in particular?
- In short, we are now only at the beginning of a long road. The fact that environmental and energy-efficient construction is absolutely necessary, began to understand more and more people. First of all, let us define what to consider Energy Efficiency. This is one of the components of Eco-development, which aims - the establishment of such real estate and development areas, where nature and human health are not only not harmed, but even beneficial. It saves resources, which can either be sold abroad, or more widely spread across Russia. That is not to use them as is happening today. And this is possible!
Based on this definition, we can find answers to many private issues: what to build, where to build, how to build, why build ...
In St. Petersburg theme of ecological construction has become a very active development. More than two years ago when I initiated the establishment of the Committee on Eco-development in the SAA is not directly supported by all colleagues. Even Alexander Olhovsky, enlightened and progressive professional, who then held the presidency of the Guild, at first questioned: to ecology is in crisis? But eventually he agreed. The current head of the Construction Committee Vyacheslav Semenenko, who also heads the guild at the moment, it is imbued with ideas of Eco-development and effectiveness. Our city can even be called eco-driving force, and green building in the country.
- You say that representatives of the city's executive branch support your ideas. Does it reflect on the make laws? Developing a suitable legal framework to streamline and tighten standards in the building?
- Yes, certainly. But most importantly the "reflection" should happen in SNIP (building codes), but to them until the case is not reached. After rework all the existing construction norms and introduce new ones - a colossal work. In this sense, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev made a very wise step by proposing to base Western standards, and directly enter them here. Although the full copy, of course, will not work.
For the first All-Russian Competition for environmental development and energy efficiency Green Awards, which will summarize the results of the forum Proestate September 9, taken by German standards, as well as LEED and BREEAM, processed them and created the image and likeness of its own standard. She started doing this Guild, and then joined the Construction Committee and is now also involved research institutes and design organizations.
- How successful is the process of promoting and implementing innovative technologies and equipment in the existing system of construction? List the major ones?
- Are being introduced, but so far, so to speak, with a squeak. Firstly, we still have not all understand the essence of the question, and puts into practice these ideas even fewer people. But there is a positive trend, more and more developers realize the importance of the problem. Western developers and producers are active in our market, bring their technology. We need to engage and learn from them and not oppose their presence in the market.
The most important innovation - the development of environmental thinking in all people. Of course, on who is building thousands of feet of commercial or any other real estate depends on much more than an ordinary housewife. Therefore, first of all, the "head" must be changed.
Eco-development could be around. It begins with site selection. Who should give a prize in Green Awards: village in the forests of the first category or the village, built on the site, such as former landfills, or wasteland? Most would answer that the green premium should serve him who builds in the woods. But this is only superficial logic. Of course, we are not talking about what everyone should build homes in the garbage dumps. Not everyone is under force. But the same draft European Embankment, implemented on the ground Petrochemical, should receive the highest rating. Because they save a piece of land, which until then had been polluted hazardous production. A build in the woods, ruining it for this - many do not mind. During this should be punished, and not to give awards. That is, choice of location - the first step!
Next, turn to technology. We love to on site to deploy RBU to on-site to make cinder blocks, pouring concrete and so on. The territory is polluted instantly, a lot of dust, debris and noise.
Much more environmentally friendly to use "technology with wheels": come, unloaded, assembled in a few weeks. No bush is not broke, not a single tree is not pushed. If we talk about the cottages, it domokomplekty, panel frame technology, the sandwich panel. These options are much better than the unfolding of a sawmill.
Now select the appropriate materials. It is believed that the logs get the most eco-friendly house. But it is the most common mistake. Take in terms of energy efficiency: the sandwich panel in the 15-20 cm thick has the parameters of heat, noise, vapor barrier, like a huge log. And for its production does not need to file down a whole grove of trees many years of valuable species. What is there to ecology?
- And from the standpoint of the effect of these materials on human health?
- Now the market is a sandwich panel made of natural elements: wood shavings, sawdust, basalt and so on. And energy efficiency, and smarter, and greener, and not a health hazard. You can always find a compromise. In addition, because the tree than just do not cover - with antiseptic solutions, stains, varnishes, which is hardly helpful.
The next step are all kinds of engineering systems. I note collectors of rainwater: Rainwater is not just somewhere to drains, overflowing sewers and puddles, and fills the barrels and tanks. Then it is filtered and used for domestic purposes. Believe me, it will be no worse than that now flows from our tap.
In general, there are many ways a more rational use of water. Sales have special sensors that regulate its flow - it flows, when you bring your hands to the faucet. Have long used special mixers, pressure regulators.
Heat pumps use geothermal energy. They are paying off for 5-6 years, and then the person using them is just a 5 to spend less on heating and electricity.
With regard to sanitation, here the most environmentally friendly toilets that produce fertilizer. This is especially true for houses. Zero waste, one benefit.
It is known that 55% of the harmful emissions associated with real estate, so ekodevelopery try to create such projects through which they can be maximally reduced.
- Due to what it's supposed to happen?
- Due to the same thermal insulation. For example, the Russian housing and communal services is 4 times less energy efficient than Finnish. The same climate, the same people with their daily needs. But for heating, they are paid less than we do, even with higher prices for heat and electricity. They did not skimp: floors warm the batteries are working. Just all in the mind made, and is a much more economical.
Now becoming increasingly popular technology "smart house", based on the latest developments. Battery off at a time when they are not needed, and begin work when they are needed. Manage these processes through the Internet or by telephone. Refrigerators operate in economy mode. Everywhere established presence detectors that turn on and off the light in the room.
- How long does it take to be close to such a storehouse of life across the country?
- We are lagging years 20-30 years from Europe. This is a minus, but we are on the beaten track, and if we do not "rebate" we can close the gap quickly enough. This is a plus.
- Suppose a person had a desire to build his personal home on the green standards. Where to start? Where to go? Where can I get contacts of companies that are engaged in construction or advice on green standards?
- The first thing I can advise is to contact the Committee on Environment and Energy Efficiency under the SAA. It presents the firm's Russian and foreign, who work in this area. Now a lot of sources where the technologies can be found, for example, ecorussia.info.
In principle, the criterion is the availability of professional-level certification LEED and BREEAM. They are most common. Therefore, if the firm is a specialist, he graduated in Green Building. Such a certificate is a certain indication that the quality and knowledge.
If guided at least by the definition Eco-development, which we gave in the beginning, and every step - selection of location, technology, project - make it the basis of common sense, we can already make their own homes more green.
Speaking of common sense and logic can give an example with glazing. There is a problem: on the one hand I want to do the large windows, especially if the house is situated in nature in a country village. On the other hand, this architecture is much higher heat loss from buildings. Finns have conducted research and found out if the cottage is properly oriented to the cardinal, then the gain from lighting and heating accordingly from the sun (a free source of heat) is greater than the loss of heat.
- In Europe, certificates DGNB, LEED and BREEAM, which evaluate the building according to their degree of environmental friendliness and energy efficiency are increasingly in demand by tenants. Interested in whether such certificates Russian tenants and potential homebuyers? And the effect is in our country, their presence on the rents, the cost per square meter, the demand?
- Educated - yes. It is especially apparent in the crisis. Before him there was a shortage of real estate, and after - there was a huge selection. Subjects with environmental parameters had advantages over the other. To the west is in the order of things: the tenant asks how green business center and giving preference to the more innovative projects. And they are willing to pay more for environmentally friendly materials and techniques about 5%.
- How expensive will cost developers build "green" buildings, compared with traditional technologies adopted?
- It's important to understand that there is absolutely green and absolutely no green buildings. Everything is subject to certain grades. In those systems, LEED and BREEAM is a scale, 5-6-point system, under which the building is evaluated by various parameters. Measured in place, technology, construction site, the amount of construction waste and so on. If you built a green house, but it is completely littered settlement - such a project is not highly appreciated.
Thus, eco-friendly facility may be so for 3, 4, 5 or 5 +. Building with an estimate of 3 or 4 points may be even cheaper, than not harmless. The use of certain materials and technologies developers can save. If we take as a traditional building construction of a brick building, the use of sandwich panels is less costly project.
Then a moment: a developer buys a plot of the village. First question: whether there is communication. If everything is there, it pays 10 thousand dollars for a hundred, and if not - it is much less. Communications are the keystone. Suppose the prepared area of 20 hectares would cost 20 million dollars. Without such communication is put on a fraction. If you come from a position of Eco-development, we can generate electricity using biotermalnyh and solar systems, used for domestic use rainwater, composting toilets instead of sewers. That is because ECOTECHNOLOGIES can be quite less money to manage, and is already beginning to save for the purchase of land without communications. So much for the lower levels of environmental assessment, which at 5 -10% cheaper than a certain standard of construction.
When we say, for example, the assessment of the building at 5 on a scale of LEED, it will cost on average 10% more expensive. If we take the highest environmental standard (5 +), it will cost about 20-30% more expensive. But it is not suitable for each project (in the former garbage mountains, dangerous production, etc). However, the developer wins the right to public relations and exploitation. Subsequently, the object can be sold more expensive, as green building by the day begins to be appreciated more and more.
- Thank you for this interview!
Author: Natalia Taran