Trees can not talk. Nevertheless, the state of the trunk and crown of birch, fir and pine trees will tell potential buyers about the benefits and problems of land offered for sale. Answers to our questions agrochemist-soil scientist, landscape designer Marina Tolstikov.
Usually, matters of choice objects suburban real estate potential buyers to discuss primarily with realtors and lawyers. We went the other way and decided to give the word, not only practitioners of the market, but also those "subcontractors" to which future homeowners are usually treated after buying the site - architects, landscape designers, builders, geologists, biologists, soil scientists,. All of these professionals can tell, and the successful experiences and pitfalls. Today we are discussing the purchase of land with a landscape designer Marina Tolstikov.
- At the stage of the purchase to us do not usually apply: if the man liked the site - no one will stop it. Although a reasonable buyer, of course, not only honors the leaflets cottage settlements, but also the specialized literature. If you start to design the house, it is highly desirable that at this stage were connected to the work of specialists in landscape work.
- What they can help at this stage?
- I, perhaps, a hundred percent agree with Sergey Erofeev that is the best site - it's the one with the entrance on the north and decrease to the south. The southern slope - a unique script that makes "work" the sun, retaining walls, streams and man-made waterfalls. But better still, the south-west and south-east. Another thing is that such sites are in the market, so even with good soil, and with decent neighbors - it is exclusive. Alas, the vast majority of land offered for sale are far from this ideal. Quite often we have to deal with the peat bogs, wetlands. But as a consolation to readers, I can say that the vast majority of these defects can be treated.
- What will the landscape designer to watch, if it is invited as an assistant designer?
- In the first place on the lighting conditions: as the sun moves, where the shadows of tall trees, neighboring buildings and structures, landscape features. Our challenge - as free from the shadow area, because we have so little sunshine! It often happens that the landscaper is the initiator of the project adjustment, offering "move" home. That is why it is desirable to invite to cooperation in the design stage. The second thing that will allow for a specialist in landscape - is the predominant wind direction.
- Because they are in our region - the northern and north-west. It's common knowledge ...
- Not really. In the folds of the microrelief of the wind rose may vary. For example, a northerly wind, skirting the hill, coming to you from the east or west ... It should also be taken into account in order to design a vertical gardening.
- What level does the site groundwater problem?
- If the water in the soil is less than a meter from the surface, it is necessary to carry out activities for sanitation. But not everything is reduced to the classical drainage systems. You can help man-made and natural ponds, ditches, streams. The proximity of water, of course, if it is not a stagnant swamp, but a flowing body of water, greatly increases the price of the plot. But the first line of the lake or a pond adjacent to the site - it is also more headaches. Body of water increases the density of the soil, and groundwater levels.
- It turns out that the orchard on this site does not do?
- Why is it so emphatically? .. For our northern gardens developed many recommendations, allowing even the wetland to get good yields. Just no apple or cherry do not need to put in the water. If no other choice - you have to do for them bulk hills. No less a problem than ground water, delivers high soil acidity. For our region - this is one of the most serious problems. You can deal with it, but here you need constant attention. There are indicator plants, prefer certain types of soils. If the land is black, but it does not even grow weeds - this is the case.
- What can tell the trees on the site?
- In order to understand that with the ground, "something wrong" does not need to be a botanist. Trees must be healthy. If Birch - a barrel with a smooth, proper crown. If it is thin and Kriven'ko - blame the soil: high acidity and the water table. Usually such trees is weak, superficial root system. But if we start working on lowering the water table, they come alive.
- For the future of the garden is important to understand what type of soil on the acquired land. Is it possible to determine its composition by the fact that it grows?
- Identify the fertility of the soil and plants can be. Clay and loam soils preferred plants such as coltsfoot, sow-thistle Field, curled dock, cleavers and bindweed Field. Light sandy soil to the liking of Velcro ezhevidnoy, mountaineers climbing, Metelica field. If the soil is highly fertile, then it rough living mountaineer, mayweed, sow-thistle Field, Field bindweed, couch grass ... If you do not have an illustrated atlas, a simple but very reliable way. Take a sample of the soil, soak it up to the state test, thoroughly knead it and try to roll it into a column length of 3 cm and a diameter of 3 mm. Then make a ring out of it. If it turns easily - you have clay soil. If you can not make even a "sausage" - sand. Ideal loam (see Tests). Increase the fertility of sandy soils is much more difficult and costly than loamy.
Reading through the trees
Choosing a site for future home ownership, pay attention to the vegetation. If the normal to the edges of our trees (birch, willow, aspen, spruce, pine) in the high season, little leaves, branches slender and elongated, and the skeleton is not formed - before you periodically flooded area. Further confirmation of this will be growing in the area blueberry, cranberry, moss, bryozoans, sedges, coltsfoot, horsetail, common chicory. Drain water from such land is possible only if an agreement with its neighbors: it requires a long list of measures to evacuate the water from the village.
If the trees are healthy, the subject for concern. But if you cut down mature trees on site and nearby, you can trigger a dramatic raising of the level of groundwater. These rakes novice gardeners come often. In my experience, many times it happened that after the removal of trees became prosperous area of concern. This danger is particularly useful for areas adjacent to water bodies. In that case, unavoidable extra costs are for drainage and planting large trees.
In addition to excess water in the soil can create problems of its high acidity. Plant indicators of soil acidity - daisy, plantain average, acrid buttercup and meadow, cornflower, sedge, sorrel, horsetail, Veronica
dlinnolistaya and Asherah, Trinity Black Plaque Column field, pikulnik beautiful, mint field, willow-wheat. If the site grow chamomile scented and odorless, garden thistle, coltsfoot, couch grass, bindweed Field, red clover, and creeping - hence, the soil in your yard weakly acid or neutral.
How to determine the texture of the soil
Texture of the soil is called the ratio of its content of particles of various sizes. The easiest way to determine the texture of the soil is as follows. A sample of the soil is moistened to the consistency of the dough and knead between the fingers, then roll the soil is well mashed in the palm of a cord thickness of about 3 mm, which is folded into a ring with a diameter of about 3 cm Then look at the results of our "artistic sculpting":
- To mold the cord does not work - the soil is sandy;
- The cord is formed, but unstable and constantly tries to unravel - the soil is sandy loam;
- The cord is divided into segments - the soil is loamy;
- Minimize to the ring broken up - medium loamy;
- The cord is folded into a ring, but it cracks - the soil is loamy;
- The cord is folded into a ring, and thus cracks are formed - the soil is clay.